Sunday, April 6, 2008

An ordinary day of fishin'

I'd studied the form guides, listened to wiser fishers than I will ever be, lined my trusty FC-5000, baited up, and re-consulted The Bass And You. It was time. The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza awaited!

For those unfamiliar, the SFE is a true test of an angler's skill, and the rewards are great - from the legendary Arcanite Fishing Pole to the Hook of the Master Angler. Held along Stranglethorn coast, it attracts all comers searching to perfect their art, and catch a couple of stacks of rare Tastyfish.

I started in Grom'grol, and immediately joined the swarms of anglers with poles being tuned and tactics discussed. Ally gankers were having a field day before the competition started, taking down innocent twinks with glee. This didn't bode well for the competition itself - how can you fish when you're being one-shotted?

But, interestingly and perhaps surprisingly, once the fishing begun, the ganking stopped. Once again our humble pastime achieved what nothing else could, with Horde and Alliance monentarily declaring a truce...to fish.

I started well, finding and emptying a couple of pools all to myself. The Tastyfish squirmed in my bag and the rod twitched in my hand, as fish after fish was landed.

Pirates fish too

Before long though, the traffic started to appear. And so did the dubious tactics - this fellow was leaping about in the water, diverting attention and making it very hard to reel my bobber in when it jumped.

Side by side in perfect harmony

I had racked up about 17 fish when the competition ended - alas! But I could sense something else was out there, and fished on for a few more pools. There was something beckoning, something Nat Pagle had taught me about. Using a special Mormyshka lure, crafted from the finest materials, I landed the elusive Keefer's Angelfish.

So rare are these fish that the Fishbot 5000 in Booty Bay swapped it for something magical...

Lucky!

Nice hat

The SFE was a great experience, and there's plenty more rewards for those that are attuned. Perhaps some fellow Guildster's will join me next time - a competition within the competition!

No comments: